Loyola Student Dispatch

Bringing Breaking News to Loyola University Chicago

Gas leak kills two women in Rogers Park

Posted by loyolastudentdispatch on January 28, 2013

data=Ay5GWBeob_WIPLDYoIWcfVXxvZu9XwJ55OX7Ag,RzEg8oyuFLfvCozC18LqppKQ_SmNPpB1__7h59U_Slb7363shbA14oHSUIvfFpaOjMYq2qbIImVlPT3twEGP5U-Hutm6a_JH3Fm_ZJlh[1]Two women are dead and another hospitalized after an apparent carbon monoxide leak in a West Rogers Park building, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.

Firefighters were first called to the building in the 2500 block of West North Shore Avenue after the women, ages 18 and 77, awakened from their sleep felling ill. Both were later pronounced dead.

Fire officials and workers from Peoples Gas have determined there was a leak in the exhaust system of the boiler in the basement of the four-flat.

Here is  a portion of the Tribune story:

The first sign of trouble came around 3 a.m. Sunday when Shabbir Ahmed’s sister-in-law woke up feeling ill.

“It started from there,” Ahmed said. “She was feeling dizzy.”

Four hours later his 77-year-old mother, Rasheeda Akhter, was so ill she could not get out of bed. “They took her to Swedish Covenant Hospital but before she got there, she died,” Ahmed said.

An hour later, relatives tried to wake his 18-year-old niece Zanib Ahmed. Another woman who is in her 70s was also hospitalized in critical condition.

“She couldn’t wake up,” Ahmed said of his niece. She was rushed by ambulance to the same hospital where “they tried their best to save her life but she did not come back.”

Ahmed’s brother then gathered five children ranging in age from 5 to 12 and took them to a hospital for observation. “We figured out something was wrong,” said Ahmed, 49. “They were OK, they were eating and playing around.”

Autopsies for Akhter and her granddaughter are scheduled for today, but officials suspect they were overcome by carbon monoxide.

Fire officials and workers from Peoples Gas have determined there was a leak in the exhaust system of the boiler in the basement of the four-flat in the 2500 block of West North Shore Avenue. Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said officials believe people in the building had been exposed to low levels of carbon monoxide over a long period of time.

When fire officials first responded to the address, they checked the carbon monoxide levels and found no indication of a leak in the building, according to Fire Department spokeswoman Meg Ahlheim said.

When paramedics were called back to the scene, they checked again and still found no evidence of a leak, Ahlheim said. A carbon monoxide detector in a room near the boiler had not gone off, according to Langford, but high levels were found in the boiler room. Officials said the carbon monoxide detector was placed near a window which was often left open.

Reade the enitre Tribune story here: GAS LEAK

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,259 other followers

%d bloggers like this: