Eleven juveniles arrested in River North mob attack

Chicago Police arrested 11 juveniles late Wednesday after they allegedly gathered as a mob and attacked a man in the River North neighborhood.

Here is a portion of the story from CBS Chicago:

Police have arrested 11 people after a mob attack in the River North neighborhood marred a 4th of July fireworks display.

Police say the man was beaten and hit in the face by a group of juveniles near Dearborn and Huron streets just after 11 p.m. The fireworks show about a mile to the east at Navy Pier had just ended at the time.

The assailants then ran off, but police caught 11 suspects. No charges had been filed as of early Thursday.

The victim was reported in good condition as of early Thursday.

Downtown mob attacks have been making headlines this summer for the second year in a row, particularly during one steamy weekend back in early June.

In one attack, a 36-year-old doctor from Northwestern Memorial Hospital was attacked by a mob of 10 to 20 teenagers on the night of Sunday, June 10 as he was walking home from work along Dewitt Place, near the Museum of Contemporary Art. That man suffered a head injury, but was able to walk on his own after the attack.

The night before, a 23-year-old man was beaten up on the CTA Red Line near the State-Lake stop by a group of about six teenagers.

The teens had just stolen the man’s 27-year-old female friend’s iPhone 4S. She had dropped the phone, and a teen had picked it up and taken it for himself. The man told the teen to give his wife her iPhone back. But they instead began punching him in the face.

Also that Saturday night, two men – one from Chicago, the other in town from Michigan – were attacked by a teen mob in the 500 block of North State Street. One victim was left with a broken jaw, the other suffered a cut lip.

In that case, the suspected muggers were apprehended quickly. They fled, but officers caught up with them on Kinzie Street between State Street and Wabash Avenue. Ten people were arrested.

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy pointed out last month that there were also similar mob attacks last summer, and his department was able to get the problem under control. He said he believes they’ll be able to do it again this year, and it’s a matter of making sure his officers are where they’re supposed to be, to prevent these incidents from happening.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s