Chicago police add officers to prevent more mob attacks
Posted by loyolastudentdispatch on June 15, 2012
Here is the story from the Chicago Sun-Times:
Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy vowed to make sure officers are positioned to prevent downtown attacks like the weekend beating of a Michigan man attending a furniture convention here.
McCarthy also said the police department could have a “couple hundred” officers work overtime in neighborhoods throughout the city this summer to keep a lid on shootings, which spiraled upward in the first quarter of 2012.
McCarthy said he knew of three downtown mob attacks over the weekend, including the Michigan man jumped on North State; a couple robbed on the CTA Red Line, and a man beaten in the Gold Coast area.
Police arrested eight teenagers in the attack on the Michigan man, whose jaw was broken. McCarthy said police have surveillance video of the attack on an out-of-town couple whose iPhone was stolen on the Red Line. The man attacked on the Gold Coast was unable to identify his assailants.
Last summer, a series of downtown mob attacks prompted the police to put officers on trains to spot potential troublemakers and to post undercover officers downtown to prevent mob violence. “We’re going to use the same thing we used last year,” McCarthy said. “We’re going to have a high deployment [of officers] on Michigan Avenue.”
Cook County Judge Israel Desierto ordered Mitchelle Coradarrowe, 18, of the 5900 block of South Indiana, held in lieu of $75,000 bail on felony charges of mob action and aggravated battery in the attack on a 44-year-old Michigan conventioneer. Seven juveniles also were charged with felony mob action.