Loyola Student Dispatch

Bringing Breaking News to Loyola University Chicago

Loyola grad instructor, rocker, charged with growing pot

Posted by loyolastudentdispatch on March 16, 2011

Dejan Kralj

The Phoenix, Loyola University Chicago’s student newspaper, fleshed out a story about a Loyola grad student, part-time instructor, and big-time rocker, who was arrested for allegedly growing marijuana in the basement of his Berwyn home.

The Chicago Sun-Time’s Michael Sneed originally had this  item about Dejan Kralj in her Friday column:

Puff & Guf . . .

It’s a shocker: Dejan Kralj, 40, a history instructor and graduate student at Loyola University, was arrested by DEA agents last Friday on charges of operating an active marijuana “grow house” in one of his homes.

Rockshot: Kralj is also a member of the Gufs, a Milwaukee-based rock band.

Backshot: Inside one of Kralj’s Berwyn residences, police and DEA agents reportedly found more than $10,000 in cash and about 15 pounds of marijuana drying in the basement. An active marijuana growing operation composed of 52 plants reportedly was found at a second Berwyn property that Kralj owns.

Buckshot: Sneed is told Kralj was charged with possession and production of marijuana with the intent to distribute it and was placed on a $250,000 bond last weekend. 

The Phoenix did a lot of reporting and published a detailed story. Here’s an excerpt:

A Loyola history instructor and Ph.D. candidate was one of four men arrested by DEA agents in the Chicago suburb of Berwyn last Friday on charges of producing and distributing marijuana, authorities said.

Special Agent Will Taylor, the DEA’s Chicago division spokesman, disclosed that Dejan Kralj, 40, was one of the subjects of an ongoing investigation that involved two active growing locations — one in Chicago and one in Berwyn — and an additional drying facility in Berwyn. All four men were arrested at different times and charged by Cook County.

His wife, Elanor, stated that he is currently being held in protective custody. She declined to comment further.

According to published reports, the growing operation was composed of 52 plants. Authorities reportedly found over $10,000 in cash and about 15 pounds of marijuana drying in one of Kralj’s Berwyn residences.  His bond was set at $250,000 last weekend.

Kralj has been pursuing a Ph.D. at Loyola in United States history, with his dissertation focusing on Yugoslav immigrant identity in Chicago. In recent years, he has taught history classes and two courses that are required for international studies majors. LOCUS listings indicate that he was not teaching any courses this semester.

Click here to read The Phoenix story:  Drug Bust

Breaking news by email. Subscribe free at: www.LoyolaStudentDispatch.com

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/loyoladispatch

Friend us on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Lou-Wolf/10000117524694

Get updates via SMS by texting :  follow LoyolaDispatch to 40404

About these ads