Edgewater murder suspects linked to 10 other killings

Police chase ends at Devon and Greenview avenues. Photo by Sabine Schramm.

The three suspects arrested in the weekend slaying of three in Chicago’s Edgewater neighborhood may have been responsible for up to 10 other drug-related slayings, according to Chicago Breaking News.

Here’s the full Chicago Breaking News story:

Three men accused of a double slaying over the weekend were under police surveillance at the time of the attack because they were suspects in at least 10 other drug-related killings, authorities said.

In the previous cases, none of the crew’s apparent victims survived. But on Saturday night one of three men whose throat was slashed in an Edgewater apartment during a phony drug deal survived long enough to alert neighbors, authorities said.

That led to a police chase that ended when the crew’s suspected ringleader was shot and killed by police, and the other two men were taken into custody.

On Monday, bond was denied for Augustin Toscano, 29, and Raul Segura-Rodriguez, 36, both charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, home invasion and aggravated battery.

One of the slain men was identified on Monday as Joel Diaz, 33, of the 5700 block of North Ridge Avenue. The identity of the second homicide victim had not been confirmed, while the surviving victim, who is 25, remained hospitalized in critical condition, authorities said.

Shortly before Saturday’s slayings, undercover officers followed a pickup truck belonging to Arturo Ibarra, 37, the crew’s suspected leader, to a CVS pharmacy, Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Jamie Santini said at Monday’s bond hearing.

Authorities said the suspects purchased rolls of duct tape and boxes of disposable mop cloths and drove to an apartment building in the 5800 block of North Winthrop Avenue to meet with the victims. Prosecutors said the crew wrapped the boxes of mop cloths with duct tape to make them look like packaged drugs.

Inside the fourth-floor apartment, the suspects robbed the other three men at gunpoint and tied their hands behind their backs with their own belts, authorities said. The crew then slashed the throats of all three victims and fled with bundles of cash, according to Santini.

The officers on stakeout watched the three men get back into Ibarra’s truck, Santini said. Meanwhile, neighbors called 911 after seeing the surviving victim come out of the apartment. An officer found the two dead men, and a call was put out to apprehend the suspects, Santini said.

A beat car stopped the pickup truck less than two blocks from the apartment, but the men inside opened fire, wounding one officer in the leg.

Ibarra then led police on a chase, “driving on sidewalks and striking other vehicles” until the truck crashed into a utility box at Devon and Greenview Avenues, Santini said. As police approached the vehicle, one of the occupants pointed a gun at an officer, who fatally shot Ibarra in the head, authorities said.

Inside the truck police found the phony drug packages, a bloody 6 1/2-inch knife, two handguns and six bundles of cash, Santini said.

No charges have been filed against Toscano or Segura in any other case, but law enforcement sources said their crew is believed to be responsible for at least three mass killings last year:

— In September, four men were shot in a drug-related attack in the West Lawn neighborhood. They were found face-down on a garage floor with their hands, feet and mouths bound with duct tape.

— In May, three men were found dead in a car left in an industrial area near 48th Place and Whipple Street. Two victims had been shot multiple times inside the car, while the third man was found in the trunk.

— In April, two brothers and a third man were found beaten and bound in a stolen car on the Southwest Side. Two of the bodies were found in the trunk, the other in the rear seat.

Breaking news by email. Subscribe free at: www.loyolastudentdispatch.wordpress.com

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/loyoladispatch

Friend us on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Lou-Wolf/10000117524694

Get updates via SMS by texting :  follow LoyolaDispatch to 40404

Rambler Bucks Now Accepted Off Campus

Loyola University Chicago Rambler bucks will now be accepted at four off campus restaurants near Lake Shore Campus in the Edgewater and Rogers Park community, according to Loyola Campus Card.

This morning Loyola students, faculty,and staff received an email about the announcement. For several months the Campus Card, ITS, and the Community Relations office has been working to reach out to local restaurants in an effort to launch the program, according to John Campbell, Bursar.

Five Guys, Metropolis Coffee, Shabuka, and Subway hall all partnered with Loyola  to accept Rambler Bucks. Pete’s Pizza and Red Mango, slated to open later this spring, has also expressed interest in taking part of the program, according to Loyola Campus Card website.

The off campus card program hopes to expand the program to more merchants around both Lakeshore and Water Tower Campuses.

Breaking news by email. Subscribe free at: www.loyolastudentdispatch.wordpress.com

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/loyoladispatch

Friend us on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Lou-Wolf/10000117524694

Get updates via SMS by texting :  follow LoyolaDispatch to 40404

Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley to speak at Loyola

Richard M. Daley

Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley said that he will be going on the speaking circuit as he prepares to retire after 22 years as mayor. One of his first speaking stops will be  Loyola University Chicago.
 
Daley will be speaking at 5:30 p.m. Monday, March 14 in Kasbeer Hall. The speech will be open for students, faculty and staff  and tickets are limited to 200 and available only at the School of Law, School of Communication, Political Science Department and Division of Public Affairs.
.
Those unable to get tickets can watch the speech on a wide screen inside the Quinlan Life Sciences Auditorium.
.
The event is sponored by Inside Government, www.inside.government.luc@gmail.com
.
- Marina Bifsha
.

Breaking news by email. Subscribe free at: www.loyolastudentdispatch.wordpress.com

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/loyoladispatch

Friend us on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Lou-Wolf/10000117524694

Get updates via SMS by texting :  follow LoyolaDispatch to 40404

‘Confession’ phone app dials up debate among Catholics

Confession app

By Kara Leslie

The Catholic Church has officially sanctioned the release of a new iPhone application to assist in the act of confession, a prime tenant of the Catholic faith.

For $1.99, iPhone owners can utilize the program, entitled “Confession: A Roman Catholic App,” to aggregate any material wished to be expressed when in the actual confessional setting.

 Despite being condoned by the Catholic Church, the application has received criticism from devout Catholics opposed to introducing technology into such a traditional setting.

Christel Richard, 20, music major at Loyola University Chicago, disagrees with the intrusiveness of the application in such a sacred environment.

“I feel like when you go into confession it should be uninhibited,” Richard said.

The “Roman Catholic App” allows the user to collect specific sentiments wished to be communicated to a priest, which Richard also dislikes.

“Confessing shouldn’t involve listing off a series of sins. It should be serious and heartfelt,” he said.

Loyola University Chicago Mission and Ministry Chaplain the Rev. Dave Godleski, SJ, remained indifferent to the negative implications of the program on Catholicism.

“I think it’s a useful tool for something we already have to prepare people for entering confessional,” Godleski said.

Godleski went on to compare the application to examinations of conscience given prior to confessing to individuals in need of extra provoking to formulate sins.

Questions listed in these examinations are arranged according to age. For instance, a child may be prompted with a question like “Have I disobeyed my parents recently?” while an adult may receive “Have I been neglecting my duties at work lately?”

The app includes a similar feature, which creates a personalized examination of conscience based on the user’s age, sex, vocation, and marital status.

Despite the ease of the app and its helpful attributes, others of the Catholic faith are still lukewarm about the idea.

Edward Supan, 22, biochemistry major, cantors at Sunday evening masses in Madonna della Strata, and has similar feelings to Richard regarding the app.

“I feel like if you are a serious Catholic, there’s no reason to forget your sins. Being able to write them down shouldn’t necessarily help anything,” Supan said.

With the onset of smartphone applications for any and every activity, it is inevitable that these programs would infiltrate the religious sector. The success and popularity of the app, however, remains to be seen.

Breaking news by email. Subscribe free at :www.loyolastudentdispatch.com

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/loyoladispatch

Friend us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Lou-Wolf/10000117524694

Get updates via SMS by texting: follow LoyolaDispatch to 40404

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: Confession: A Roman Catholic AppCatholic faith